Sunday, June 5, 2011

DVD Releases for Tuesday June 7, 2011

This is the part of the blog where I tell you what I am buying for the week on DVD. Most of you who know me also know that I like to collect and watch movies at home. Most weeks I buy 1-4 releases. This week I will be buying:
True Grit (2010)

One of the best movies of last year, this update of the John Wayne classic was directed by the Coen Brothers.  Jeff Bridges did a fantastic job playing the character of Rooster Cogburn and received a lot of praise. The real find of the movie is Hailee Steinfeld who plays Mattie Ross to perfection.









Just Go With It
If Grown Ups was Adam Sandler taking a 4th of July holiday with his buddies, Just Go With It is him going to Hawaii with his friends.  The movie has some very funny moments but they seemed to just give up with it in the end.  They don't even give the audience a proper conclusion. Its fun and you will laugh, but its not the best Adam Sandler comedy.








Another Year
Mike Leigh is a great director who loves character pieces. I haven't seen this yet but I am looking forward to seeing Jim Broadbent in this movie about four seasons in the life of a married couple.










The Company Men
Another movie I seemed to have missed.  The trailer for this movie looked promising, and with the release date I thought it would have gotten more awards noticed.  Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Coster, Ben Affleck and Chris Cooper star in this movie about the American working man.









Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology (1978 - 2006)
This movie collection has been on Blu-Ray before individually without Superman 3 or 4.  Honestly If I wasn't a Superman super nerd I probably wouldn't pick this set up.  But I am, and I can't wait to pick mine up.










Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
Just in time for the Green Lantern movie comes this direct to DVD animated feature. This movie will more than likely give anyone who sees it a nice knowledge base for all of the minor characters in the new movie. Nathan Fillion, Jason Isaacs, and Elisabeth Moss all provide voices for this movie. The animated DC universe movies have almost always been entertaining so hopefully this one is no exception.







Sanctum
This movie seemed like a fun ride.  Sure its not an original idea but the 3D certainly probably made up for it.  It will be interesting to see if the movie is any good without the novelty that 3D provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment