Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DVD Releases for Tuesday June 21, 2011

This is the part of the blog where I tell you what I am buying for the week on DVD. Most of you who know me also know that I like to collect and watch movies at home. Most weeks I buy 1-4 releases. This week I will be buying:


The Adjustment Bureau
Quite possibly my favorite movie of the year so far. I know that parts of it fall apart upon scrutiny but how often do we get a quality blend of philosophy, science fiction, humor, and romance.  Not only did it successfully blend all of those elements together, but it did so while also making us think and I dare anyone to watch this movie and not enjoy it.






Unknown
Unknown wasn't a great movie, but it was very entertaining.  I knew the twist in this movie about half way through, but I still wanted to know how they were going to pull it together.  A pretty straight forward action film, that tries to be more intelligent than it is.  Essentially the movie begins as a tight well paced action thriller in the mold of The Marathon Man, but eventually it decays into just another loud action movie.





The Eagle
I have to admit I am completely skeptical of this movie. It looks like a Gladiator clone, and yet everyone I know who has seen the movie thought it was great, and it received both high praise and blistering criticism from the professional reviews I read. I will just have to find out for myself.






Diary of A Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules
The first Diary of a Wimpy Kid was an amusing yet deeply flawed movie.  I don't expect much from it's sequel but if you are a fan of the books, then I am sure you will be rushing out to see this.  As I am not a fan of the books, and the first one left me apathetic, I don't have much in the way of a desire to see it.






Cedar Rapids
Similar to Bridesmaids, Cedar Rapids sports an interesting mix of comedy role players. Cedar Rapids has been listed as one of the funniest movies of the year. And has an impressive "85% Fresh" score on Rotten Tomatoes. I hope that the movie delivers and is as funny as the trailer was.

No comments:

Post a Comment