Monday, June 27, 2011

DVD Releases for Tuesday June 28, 2011

This is the part of the blog where I tell you what I am buying for the week on DVD. Most of you who know me also know that I like to collect and watch movies at home. Most weeks I buy 1-4 releases. This week I will be buying:

Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition
Yeah I know this is a double, triple, or for some of you a quadruple dip from Peter Jackson, but if you are a fan of this trilogy you know you will be picking it up on Blu Ray. I hear that the extras are nothing new, nor are they upgraded to HD. Also absent is the presence of any Hobbit material, so you can probably expect another set to coincide with the Hobbit. I am getting this set purely for the Extended Editions in HD, and thats enough for me to be happy.







Sucker Punch
A loud, jarring mess of a movie from Zach Snyder.  I wanted this movie to be more than it is.  I like Snyder's visual style, and I enjoyed those aspects of the movie.  But the movie really could have been more, it could have been cuckoo's nest brought to all its visual life, but you know with hot chicks instead of Chief and Nicholson. Unfortunately we got a steaming turd.








Beastly
Ever wanted to see a live action Beauty & The Beast? Well keep waiting, this movie tries to deliver that story in a fresh and contemporary way, but fails on several levels.  I liked the characters in the movie, and who can argue with the plot, the problem with Beastly is the fact that it fails to develop any of the characters, they are all paper cut outs, no dimensions, or depth of any kind.








Season of the Witch
Poor Nicholas Cage, that guy needs to fire his agent. He also needs to stop making movies just for the paycheck, or we may ask for his Oscar back.











Barney's Version
Dustin Hoffman and Paul Giamatti sharing the screen has got me interested.  Barney's version was a hit at awards season, so I am excited to see just why everyone was raving about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment