Sunday, May 22, 2011

DVD Releases for Tuesday May 24, 2011

This is the part of the blog where I tell you what I am buying for the week on DVD. Most of you who know me also know that I like to collect and watch movies at home. Most weeks I buy 1-4 releases. This week I will be buying:

 I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four is an exciting movie, but I couldn't get behind it.  I really loved the book that it was based on, but the movie changed so many important things that eventually it just pissed me off.  The tone, and character changes were so dramatically bad in the movie that I struggled to enjoy it.  I think that if I can let go of the book and just see the movie I will enjoy it this time.








Gnomeo & Juliet

Classic Shakespeare with the twist of animation.  The Lion King was the first Shakespearian play I remember being turned into an animated kids film.  I'm not saying Gnomeo & Juliet is going to be on the same level as The Lion King, but I do think that it looks like a cute movie. Like the Lion King it is scored with songs by Elton John.







Tigerland

Before stardom ruined Colin Farrell we got this spectacular gem of a movie.  This is a Blu-Ray re-release of a 2000 movie. This film made me like Colin Farrell, after a while I think like many of you, I got sick of him, however the second coming of Colin Farrell has begun and is looking pretty good so far.








Gods and Generals/Gettysburg Director's Cut

Gods & Generals and Gettysburg are being re-released to commemorate both Memorial Day, as well as the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War.  These are two quality Civil War epics that deserve to be seen.  They are not on the level of Gone with the Wind, nor is it as entertaining as Glory, but they are historically accurate and definitely a must for any Civil War buffs.





The Great Dictator

Charlie Chaplin's classic silent film is now on DVD and Blu-Ray in a Criterion Collection disc.  For a long time as a child I actually thought Charlie Chaplin was Hitler, and without question this film is the reason why.  Chaplin is superb as both the dictator, and the barber.  If you have never seen the movie I desperately encourage you to see  it.

No comments:

Post a Comment