Monday, August 1, 2011

Summer Movie Preview Part 4 August 2011

August is typically a dumping ground for movies that are too expensive to release in September, but not quite good enough to release in the early part of the summer. Sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised with a quality movie, like Scott Pilgrim, or Takers, and sometimes you get what you expect, like the Expendables, or Eat Pray Love, and then there are the bad movies like Piranha 3D, or Vampires Suck. So here are the releases for August 2011.



Rise of the Planet of the Apes

This version of the Planet of the Apes seems to takes place after Charlton Heston's team leaves for space, but before his return. The concept is very interesting, the idea of how the apes took power, and how our scientific reach is outpacing our moral grasp. The Apes in this movie were motion captured and digitally created by the Weta Workshop, so I know they will be the most realistic apes to date. What I am really curious to see is if the story is as good as the effects.

The Change Up

The Change Up is essentially a guy's version of the Freaky Friday concept. Weather or not it is going to be good or not really depends on if we can buy into the concept yet again. Remember in the 80's when we got a flood of these films. Vice Versa, 18 again, Switch, Like Father Like Son, I could go on. most of these were bad movies, hopefully Hollywood has learned from it's mistakes, or we may be in for a long couple of years.

The Help

This movie is based on a 2009 novel byKathryn Stockett. It is about African American maids working in white households in Jackson, Mississippi during the early 1960s. Typically movies based on these types of books do not translate will, The Secret Life of Bees comes to mind. However if the adaptation is done right and done well you can get a true classic. We will have to wait until it comes out to see.

30 Minutes or Less

I loved Zombieland, it was hysterically funny, and twisted. It was also original. 30 minutes or less is the follow up from the creators of Zombieland. It has the same manic qualities, and much of the same type of humor. Instead of twisting the horror genre, they have decided to add their twist to the action film. I am excited for this movie, but also weary that with a bigger budget, and less independence we may not get the same magic.

Final Destination 5

As much as I wish this series would go away and die already, I have to admit I am always morbidly sucked in by these trailers.  I mean look at that still. The crazy Clockwork Orange eye clamp, that right there has me sold. I know after I see the movie I will instantly regret it, like eating a pound and a half of hamburger, but you gotta admit, watching people die in crazy and outrageous ways is fun, albeit twisted.

Fright Night

This is a remake, and yes remakes are hit and miss, but this one looks like all kinds of hit. As I said before we are seeing the resurgence of Colin Farrell. He is popping up in all kinds of places, and ever since In Bruges, we have gotten A+ material from him. Toss in the up and coming Anton Yelchin who was spectacular in The Beaver, and the best part of Terminator Salvation, and you have quite an interesting pair. Did I mention David Tennant, and Toni Collette?

One Day

One Day is When Harry Met Sally but with, you know, tears. It looks at a couple on the same day every year for 20 years. We get to see their ups and downs, and you know that eventually even though they are trying not to fall in love, they will. My only concern is that will we care. I appreciate a good love story, but when you only get one day a year, will we be constantly playing catch up? Will it take us out of the movie?  Also can we really care about the characters?

Conan 3D

I hear a lot of people saying "No Arnold, No me." I'm sorry but do we really want to see a pudgy old Conan the Barbarian? Not me. Of course I could also do without this movie too. Yes it looks like a big action movie, but who cares really. Tack on migraine inducing 3D and you can count me out. I could be wrong, and it could be better than the original, but not likely.

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Haunted house movies are not original, what makes haunted house movies original is their ability to surprise you with something new. Hopefully Don't be Afraid of the Dark can bring something new to the genre. Guillermo Del Torro is not a bad person to be producing your film. His horror films tend to be more psychological and blended with true human stories. I am excited to see this film, but don't be surprised if the trailer is scarier than the actual movie.

Our Idiot Brother

This movie seems very familiar. Oh yes its Captain Ron, or What About Bob, or any other strange dude movie. Yes this one revolves around a family who is tormented by their idiotic slacker brother, but you know that by the end they will all love him and appreciate him for all his tremendous stupidity. I hope it is funny but it seems to me like it will be more cliche than anything.

The Debt

I first saw the trailer for this movie back in December. This is usually a big red flag on the quality of the movie. When you see a trailer for a small film with out any special effects, and it takes more than 8 months for it to come out then usually it is bad. But the trailer makes the movie look very good, and Helen Mirren is always a quality actress. Hopefully this film is more of a difficult movie to place because of its content and topic rather than its quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment