Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer Movie Preview Part 3 July 2011

I can't believe June has already come and gone, and its already time for me to write another monthly preview article.  There are a lot of great movies coming up this month, and July is typically the last big month of summer movies. Here is what to expect in July.

Larry Crowne


Larry Crowne is the small little movie that has been placed on 4th of July weekend for two reasons. The first is the high quality star power of Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. The second is purely out of the desire to draw in those theater goers who don't care about Transformers. Weather it is a good movie or not remains to be seen, but I guarantee the audience for this and the audience for Transformers will look completely different.


Horrible Bosses


Horrible Bosses to me looks like the next big comedy. It has a beyond stellar cast, and looks absolutely like the funniest movie of the summer (sorry Bridesmaids). The basic premise is the same as strangers on a train, with each friend taking a different boss to eliminate. The movie looks flat out hysterical, and between Kevin Spacey doing his thing, Colin Farrell looking down right hysterical, and Jennifer Anniston doing that thing to the banana, I'm sold.

Zoo Keeper


I don't exactly know what to say about this movie.  It has to be funny, because it certainly isn't new. From the trailer it certainly looks like another sub standard Dr. Doolittle clone.  I like Kevin James, he is a very funny physical comedian, but he continuously makes bad choices for films. I hope it is funny, and I hope that it surprises me, but I am not holding my breath.

Winnie The Pooh


It is classic Winnie The Pooh in all his hand drawn glory. This is a new story, with all our favorite characters. Just like Curious George a few years ago, this movie chose to stick to the traditional animation, and I love it. This type of animation has become so scarce that when it does appear, you are instantly nostalgic for bygone eras. I don't think there is there anyone who won't immediately fall in love with this movie by the end of the trailer, watch it and you will see what I mean.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2


Literally a decade in the making, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is the conclusion of the story that has captured everyones attention for the past 10 years. It is hard to believe that it is all coming to an end. I for one never imagined that I would be sitting here 10 years later, eagerly anticipating the final chapter. But I am, and quite honestly the series has only gotten more exciting, more dark, and more amazing with time. If you were 11 when the first movie came out you are now 21, a full grown adult.  There are very few film series that last that long, there are even fewer that define a generation.  Harry Potter is a special collection of films that transcends all media, and has in itself become culture.

Captain America


Call me a pessimist, or a skeptic, but I am not impressed by this movie. To me everything about this movie, from the casting, to the set design, even the costume are all signs that this is not a good movie. Maybe it has a good director? Ooops nope, if the name Joe Johnson doesn't ring a bell maybe this will help. Johnson was the director of such classics as Jumanji, Jurassic Park 3, The Pagemaster, and oh lets not forget The Wolfman (2010). If that isn't screaming at you not to trust this movie, I don't know what else to tell you. I know it is summer and Marvel has yet to let us down, but seriously folks I said it here first, this movie looks like first rate garbage. Be officially warned.


Crazy Stupid Love


This movie looks brilliant.  It looks funny, tragic, and above all things very real. Every once in a while a comedy can move you more than any drama, and Crazy Stupid Love certainly looks to fit that mold. I don't know about you, but this trailer makes the movie look like vintage James L. Brooks.  Movies like As Good as it Gets, Broadcast News, and Terms of Endearment, are all perfect examples of real movies. If Crazy Stupid Love is anywhere near as good as those classics we are in for a treat.

The Smurfs


Sorry but this is beyond terrible, its just depressing. Hey parents this is what you get for taking your kids to Alvin and the Chipmunks, Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, Yogi Bear, and all the other horrible bastardized versions of out beloved childhood cartoons. I blame you, it is your fault, now do us all a favor and don't take your kids to see this. Let the industry know that you refuse to allow them to rape your childhood any longer, by not taking your kids to this movie.

Cowboys & Aliens


What can you say about one of the coolest ideas for a movie ever. Cowboys & Aliens is a perfect example of how to take a traditional western and flip it on its ear.  Jon Favreau, has specifically designed the movie to be one part John Ford, and one part Steven Spielberg. It's an interesting combination to say the least, but those are two magnificent directors to model a movie after.  They both have an amazing visual style, and make nothing but beautiful movies.  I am looking forward to this movie, and hope it delivers on all that it promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment